On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Voice and Style

Voice and style are what truly defines a writer. Your unique voice, how you write, and the style, word choice/technique, are what are important. That's what will ultimately sell you.

That said, I feel I've found my voice and style in my work, but I've discovered I definitely need to refine my style as an author in public. I do have the long, flowing fantasy scarf coats etc., but haven't quite developed my voice. Not that I want to put on a complete mask or anything, I want to be true to myself, but sometimes I don't think my personality comes across.

Of course, I may be in conference melt down. I'm really looking forward to the booksigning today, and I'm sure that will be fine, but in other groups I need to know how to project who I am. ;) AND, not sure my meaning is coming through.

I'm quiet, so I don't sparkle much, particularly now when I'm tired, so I guess what I need to work on is a glow. Maybe a mysterious glow......LOL.

Anyway that's my thoughts for the day, and something I haven't really considered much before, but for you who are unpublished, start thinking about it NOW.

Take care and may the day be pleasurable.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin;

It was so cool to go to the RT Convention. I have never attended one before and I went this time because: 1)you were there and 2)it was within driving distance. I had so much fun and it was fantastic to meet you face to face.

I hope you enjoyed the event as much as I did. It was great to meet you and to talk to you (even briefly).

Keep up the good work, keep writing, and generally, just enjoy life.

Tine

2:34 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

It was lovely meeting you, I really enjoyed our little chat, folks came and went at the book fair and I had a good time.

Take care,
Robin

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]