On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sucking Out The Joy

I have a friend who says that if there is a way for a writer to suck joy out of something wonderful that's happened s/he will.

For instance:

I was at critique yesterday and Janet said, "That last love scene of Heart Fate was WONDERFUL, so beautifully written."

Me, instead of saying THANK YOU. "I thought it was too short."

Urgh! I slaved over that scene, and didn't really know that it worked, and it's a very important scene as you will learn when you read the book. And I still think it's too short.

BUT, THANKS TO ALL WHO'VE SAID THEY LIKE MY WORK!!!

May you be pleased with your work.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Suzane in VT said...

I've never heard of any writer who was completely satisfied with their work and didn't think it needed more tweeking. As someone who is beginning to write their own stuff, I'm finding this to be quite true.

Looking forward to reading Heart Dance, which I found yesterday (Sunday) at Borders (though I didn't think it was suppose to be out until May 6. Woo Hoo!!! Barnes & Noble, who is known for getting things out early, however, didn't have it.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I took watercolour painting lessons, our teacher gave us this advice, which I think is sound even for writers: KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid.
Better to leave a reader with a want for more than being able to hardly finish the book. Mind you there are very short books at 500 pages and very loooooooong books at just over a hundred!
... and here I am forgetting about KISS and just falling into the last "S"
Thanks for your lovely books, gave us more!!!!

11:00 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Suzane, hope you enjoy Heart Dance...and anon, I didn't think your post was too long. I have heard of KISS, both on my groups and in writing. I don't always think of it when I'm writing, but I HAVE heard of it. ;)

Robin

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]