On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Resource Blog -- Word Choice

I had originally planned this blog to be a resource for writers on writing and publishing. It's become more personal. Probably because it's a daily thing. Planning articles and advice takes time, easier just to say what's going on maybe with a soupcon of advice.

Two "advice"s in that sentence. I DID use the thesaurus but only "recommendation" appealed to me and it doesn't quite fit. If this were a manuscript, I'd reword the sentence, but since it's not, it will stay.

Did several chapters yesterday, cutting two lines per page, slow going. This morning I got up at 4 and did a bit more, changed one scene from five pages to three and feel like I should have left it, but, oh, well, every little bit counts.

I plan on continuing to do the two lines bit until I am bored out of my mind, then will look at the sweeping cuts others have given me.

Not really sure how long my editor will let me go. It WILL be trade paperback, but if I run long, Berkley shrinks the font. And it will probably come out in mass market next year. Still, there's only so much I can do in the next couple of days, and I want to clean up some problems, too. Urg.

Try not to wait until the last minute to finish your book. There, good advice.

May you go forth and do great stuff today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's still a wonderful resource for writers--we get to see what being a full time writer is from the inside, warts, bumpy things and all.

I come by every day, myself. I find it incredibly inspiring!

5:47 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Kaite, it's definitely an insiders look...

Robin (who just misspelled her name)

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]