On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Deacquisitioning Books

I thought it would be easier...some of these books I haven't read for years, and even if I recall that I enjoyed them, which I don't always do, I have problems letting go.

I have a lot of ebooks. But I've recently found that my Fictionwise collection (of mostly romances that I have in another form) is missing lines at the bottom and top of the "pages" so now I'm going to have to deal with that...

Meanwhile, in the office, the mystery collection is almost gone and I'm working on sf/f. I'm up to E but the Eddings books will not be going away. For a long time I read his first series at least once a year (though I didn't care too much for the princess-heroine). Lin Carter was boxed up yesterday for a friend of mine who sells sf/f books and/or the DASFA (Denver Area Science Fiction Association) raffle table.

I moved my collection of tarot books and cards and general oracles (the pendulum stuff I bought for Heart Fate, about 6 Celtic decks, two of which aren't available any more).

I've made a shelf for my author reading copies--when I find all of them.

Now I need to take books off at least 2 shelves and clean the shelves before putting different books on them. I've thought and thought as to what to put on those shelves
and have finally made the best decision.

So much for rambling on a hot summer's morning. See you soon, enjoy your day.
I'll be heading out in a bit for new critique group.

Robin

6 Comments:

Blogger Ang from Oz said...

I find it so difficult to get rid of books, as my book collection is growing I know I am going to have to tackle this problem at some point, and I don't have alot of room in my house. At the moment I have 4, 5 shelfed bookcases. Which are almost full! (time to start hiding books under the beds I think!!)

6:43 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

**whispering** I have books stacked on my bedroom floor...and some on the plant stand next to the toilet in the bathroom, and an occasional 3-5 on chairs in the living room. You know that pic of the pristine dining room table I posted a while back...it was a phase.

;)
Robin

8:33 PM  
Blogger azteclady said...

I also have a horrible time when I try to purge er... deacquisition books, even when I know for a fact that I won't read them again.

Though in the rare occasions when that is the case, I tend to find 'responsible parents' for the poor discarded ones.






And the fact that I can't seem to get rid off books is the reason for the bookcases in the closets, above the windows, under the windows, behind the doors, under the stair case...

8:22 AM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

I have what seems like tons of books too and have been thinking of buying a new book shelf.

But my hubby has ordered me a Sony ereader, so now I won't have to worry about were to put my new book, lol.

Janice~

9:16 PM  
Blogger Crafter Jane said...

LOL - Is it a problem if I have the very first paperback I ever bought ... in the mid-60's??? Books are everywhere in our house - and that's also the reason hubby bought me a Kindle for my birthday!

5:09 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

This will always be a problem, even though, like many, I am moving to ebooks. I worry about the formatting changing.

And now I have two stacks. One sf/f for my friend's bookstore. One for the next charity who called (which was Healing Minds).

Unfortunately some get tossed in the recycle bin. Cats....

Robin

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]