On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, August 23, 2010

5 Minute Exercise (Result)

Some crit buddies and I are doing a panel on plotting at the RMFW conference, and we will be including a couple of 5 minute exercises. Beginning, Middle, End. I don't do the middle because I am speaking about the middle while others are writing.

Anyway we will be getting something from the audience (character and trait) before we start. I'm plenty nervous, and not sure I can do it...though we did practice.

The character was a 5 star general and the character trait was OCD (which I decided to take as neatnik). Oh, and I am representing the fantasy genre. ;)

And here it is:
*****************************

I tried to pass him by. I didn't want him in my cab, Miss Bee-yu-tee-ful. He was in green camoflage and had a bunch of those little ribbon bars -- you know the sort, the ones that announce you've shot more people than anyone else.

He was standing on the curb outside of the Brown Palace and swear-to-God he stepped out in front of my ride.

So I had to stop.

And I didn't want to, 'cuz you know however much that camo was supposed to flage, I still saw the cigar ashes all over his shirt.

But I braked and he looked through the top crack of my a/c'd window and said, "Take me to Mars."

*********************

May all your exercises go well.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

giggle. That would be quite the start to a book.

2:45 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you, Kris. It ain't bad for off-the-cuff...I liked it. ;)

Robin

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]