On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, January 22, 2010

Magic MUST Cost

I recently read a book where magic had no cost, no exhaustion from teleporting across continents, no headaches on doing/receiving mind probes, nothing.

The "world building" irritated me no end and I think that this writer is not a big paranormal or fantasy writer, which made me wonder why he/she attempted such a book.

Like every other endeavor magic MUST have a cost. If it doesn't why is it interesting?
Did these people have never-ending physical reserves (they were fighting villains too)?

I still don't get it, much of the book escaped me. If I ran a sprint, it costs me...in energy, in panting breath, maybe a stitch in my side. If I concentrated on revising a document, it costs me, eye strain, dull brain, tension in my shoulders. If I have a conflict with another person, it costs me -- upset stomach, perhaps tears, a lowness of spirit.

That's physical, mental, emotional effort and the costs, why should magic be different?

And yes, a second "rule" I hold dear to my heart was broken, magic took care of the villain.

Read in your genre, know the techniques of your genre.

May you enjoy all you read today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]