On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Speaking

I spoke about publishing and writing last night at the Denver Area SF Assn meeting, and left feeling great. Which is good since the last time I spoke to a group I left feeling lousy, I was so OFF. But last night my improv teacher came up and congratulated me on my assurance and holding the audience and I had good questions and got to tell some of my fav stories. On a grade of My Own Scale I think I came in around a 7 out of 10. I told my teacher that it was all due to her and she demurred, but I believe that, and I said I do it often. Not really that often, but enough that I am not petrified anymore if I'm feeling halfway ok.

OTOH, I never sleep well before a day that I speak, and I don't get much done until the thing is OVER. I thought about what I was going to say, wrote stuff down on a memo sheet to start me off, and marked the passage I thought I would read to hell and gone. I practiced. But I didn't read. I think I should have, but even though the guys might have liked the passage I emphasized that Heart Change was a romance so they wouldn't have bought it. My local bookseller was there and sold a couple.

May you enjoy all your engagements today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Ang from Oz said...

I am not a fan of public speaking either, and avoid it as much as possible. Just wondering if you only have the 1 book coming out in 2010 - Heart Journey. I was hoping the new LUNA series would be out sooner.

Best Wishes.

8:12 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Ang, and I love your thumbnail of Oz. I am actually still working on the first Luna book. Since it is a new series I wanted to have plenty of time to do it right. It's due April 30 and will be out next January.

So the delay is due to me.

Thanks again,
Robin

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]