On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, August 22, 2008

Writing Rituals

Writers have them, to get into the mood. To signal the brain -- subconscious, and conscious that now is the time to be creative.

I really, really, REALLY missed my earphones at the retreat. Of course I'd thought I'd packed them (wonder where the set is -- I have 3). Most often I do subliminals on my machine -- Creativity, High Focus, Confidence, Positive Thinking, whatever...by several artists. But most demand that earphones are worn.

Not to mention there was usually some talk in the dining room behind me that I couldn't pretend not to hear. I might still have heard it with the earphones, but then it would have been background noise. My new to me computer bag (3 weeks old) doesn't have the pockets that I'm used to, so I haven't figured out a good organizational system. I may add another pocket or two, somehow. I don't think I'll ever be giving this bag up.

Anyway, I did manage to make my wordcount Fri-Sun. Monday I think I only did about 900 words because I was anxious to get home. One day I did 2500 and one day I worked on the light-urban-paranormal-romance.

I've done the morning wordcount (could be daily), and I've looked at the email and Echoes In The Dark copy edits have been delivered.

I just finished a sparring scene and think I might check out something like it on City of Heroes to get the movement right ( ;) rationalization, though it IS good for some fighting, one of my scrappers has the most incredible kicks).

So I am pleased. Oh, and it's time for breakfast.

May you have a sunshiny day.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

So is City of Heroes the only MMO you play? Do you have the Warhammer Fever?

Gonna give Champions Online or DC Universe a gander?

It's interesting when I notice my favorite writers are playing the games I enjoy. Laurell Hamilton's husband plays City too. I guess the game just is made for us geeks (we geeks?).

3:58 PM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

But did you have a good time at the retreat?

1:12 AM  
Blogger Catie said...

Waugh. I miss CoH. Someday we'll have computers again...

1:58 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I only play City of Heroes. I have city of villains but when I had to lead homeless people to a van where they'd be taken to be experimented upon by a mad scientist, I knew that was not for me. I didn't like it, though it is visually more interesting.

Hadn't heard of DC Universe. What really keeps me with COH is the character definition, you can change the face and the body, you can experiment with many costumes. I love it. You can see fights, experience fights (if not the pain).

I had a great time at the retreat. It was wonderful working in the same room with other writers who "get it." Could talk ad nauseum re writing. I can't make the October one but am signed up for the January one, car and weather willing. Looking forward to the beach one, too. I did try out Baby, the little Asus, and I was much slower on that and am currently impatient, so I don't know if I will take it. It showed me how often I use WP's "reveal codes" feature -- esp on a keyboard that my fingers would over-reach and next think I knew I'd be typing in a previous page.

Robin

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]