On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Progress on Heart Change, Advice

The last two days I've buckled down and started real work on Heart Change. I really would like to take a long vacation, but...anyway my rhythm is not back, I only got a little over 1500 words written in a longer period than normal, but it's better than nothing.

Signet is a Catalyst, and even I don't know what that really means. One of those things that I'll be working out as I go along. It's a matter of describing effects/results rather than how she does what she does (unconsciously, like the Null power Ruis Elder has). So I'd already set a scene up to show this, and had to think about it.

I'm still not sure about the many aspects of the catalyst (and though I'll take comments, I'm going to be adamant about this that I'm going to do it my way). I believe she works one great change in a person's life when they spend a fair amount of time in her company over about two weeks.

I'm not sure if she will continue to have small effects on their lives, or her own, or the Residence's or whatever. That will come, I fully believe.

So, advice of the day, allow yourself to make things up as you go along. You don't need every detail of how a thing works in your fantasy world when you start the book, but by the end of the book, you need to know it, even if you don't explain in entirety. Sometimes it can remain a "mystery," (but don't use this often).

Anyway, that's that, and I really need to start working on the house. May you enjoy your imagination.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Tannun said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

Seems like she has abilities similiar in scope to the Fates of mythology.

Maybe that would work? Vinni sees the possible futures lives can take, she is able to twist or untwist (thinking something like a celtic knot) into new paths.

Maybe these knots or threads that are smoothed and manipulated work the same way as the great labyrinth. So she could sell these simple fate charms? A small celtic knot that buyers unwind to guide their fate.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

I was thinking you could use mini topiaries too. Evergreens cut into labyrinths that people could use to meditate with and guide their futures.

I'd think this person would want to work closely with Vinni, changing someone's future might be worse than leaving it alone.

At any point, it definatley is something worth thinking about.

It'd be interesting if you could write two stories in this novel. Show what happens if the Catalyst hadn't occured.

Be an interesting back story.

2:25 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Tannun, the knot idea is good, but I just spent a whole book of the Summoning series with the spell knot and spell knots, so I hesitate to introduce them into the Heart books.

Topiaries, I like that a lot, I'll keep it in mind...and I think I'll infer what would happen if Signet wasn't there...

Robin

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]