On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Procrastinating, Echoes In The Dark Question, Heart Change

So...two weeks ago I was flying to San Francisco for RWA, a week ago I was dragging around after RWA and gearing up for Worldcon.

Today I am procrastinating. I have a few paragraphs of chapter 2 of Heart Change written (and I may have news to share soon), and music playing on the computer, and it looks like the heat has broken for the year here. THANK HEAVENS.

But...can't get into the scene. I am sure I started it where it needs to be, and I've set up what needs to happen here in chapter one, but...bleh...

My dining room table (current work area) is back to the layers and layers on layers and layers, and I have the line edits of Echoes in the Dark just out of sight on a chair in the living room (flat surfaces are BAD for writers), but not out of mind.

Re: Echoes In The Dark, I've been canvassing certain loops about a disagreement my editor and I have about the ending. Like whether those who survive need to be rewarded for going through all this, come out better than before. I like that idea and my editor doesn't think it's realistic enough.

I think I'm tired, but am sure that if I went up to bed to try and sleep more, it wouldn't happen. Did my usual bath last night so I don't want to do it this am, too, especially since we're hurting for water.

I guess it's time for the very strong black tea and subliminals...and since the scene takes place in a setting we haven't seen since HeartMate (T'Ash's ResidenceDen), and it's changed, maybe I'll look at HeartMate.

Bleh.

May you all be motivated today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

Hey Robin,

I think your editor is being too cynical - or has been editing too much DARK fantasy. If you have to justify the coming out better than before hand at the end of an epic quest you can pull out the grandaddy of fantasy - the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. If each of those characters didn't have something positive to show for it at the end, I don't know who did. Yes, good characters died, but it wasn't a wholesale slaughter, just because it was the end.

And ... still available to beta read.....

9:41 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Kris.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Kaelle said...

From a looong time reader, please tell your editor that I feel more satisfaction with an ending to a book/series if the characters get rewarded for their hard efforts. I hate downer endings.

Kae

12:38 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Kaelle. I'm nervous about this book because I think I'm going to be hit from both sides -- too fluffy bunny ending from the fantasy readers and someone dying that they didn't want from my romance readers.

Robin

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]