On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, August 25, 2008

Good Morning, Contract Advice

Hope your day is well. Didn't feel good yesterday and have a head and body aches this am. Not sure why. Massage today might take care of it, then I really need to start the exercise program again which will make me chipper and have more energy.

I've decided, for the moment, to pamper myself a little by keeping the daily wordcount low. I'm also thinking more about this book since I don't know my characters as well.

I did purchase a camera online to be received in a few days, so more pics should be posted on the blog, etc. Shortly.

Still have to reinstall the printers. Ever since the guy at hp "helped" me, my color printer won't scan and my black and white laser jet won't do landscape book stuff.

Of course I should be promoting Heart Fate as much as I can, too, since it hits the stands NEXT WEEK, though you've said B&N is selling early.

So: with Berkley I have a "pay on publication" clause in my contract, which my agent told me is "Pay on shipping." Since a third party (B&N) is now selling the books and shipping them, I think I should be paid, right?

Off to send an email to my agent, pamper myself a little, then hit the writing. After all my upcoming seminar/conference obligations I'll have the retreat, and I also hope to up my daily wordcount dramatically.

Be well.
Robin

9 Comments:

Blogger Silver Phoenix said...

I didn't want to tell you that BN.com was selling early (my copy ships tomorrow, along with an early release of the next Jayne Castle book) because then your publisher might yell at them and stop them.

Then I would be sad and cry.

Of course, I've gotten tons of books through BN.com that they've sold early, so perhaps they won't listen. Which would make me happy!

(sorry, I'm tanked to the gills on antihistimines today; it makes me loopier than usual.)

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also ordered last week when it was showing available, but I received a follow up e-mail saying the book was not available at the current time and they'll update me when they do ship. I was SOOO bummed!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:45 AM  
Blogger Tannun said...

So I rushed to B and N all happy because I was getting Heart Fate early. I made the trip special because I read here THE book could be gotten.

Fraid not. They have it. They dangle it like a fine wine. But they spout off things like release dates and fussy things like contractual obligations as they gleefully refuse to sell a copy. Sigh!

Ah well. Whomever got it early good luck, not sure what Fate you had to kiss to get it, but she's not smiling on me.

2:48 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

0k, SMOOCHES Tannun, it all comes down to street date -- if my books show a surge when they come out, my publisher is happy. So everyone is supposed to sell it on the same date.

Robin

8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I bought a copy for my friend on Borders.com, and she recieved it last week.
But I've been to the book stores here in NYC to buy my own copy, and none has it on the shelf yet. :(and now my evil friend is teasing me about what happens).

When is the next book in the series coming out, and can you publish the Celta series faster . . PLEASE?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Crystal Jordan said...

Hope you feel better soon, Robin!!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Suzane in VT said...

Last night, Tues, Aug 26 (one week in advance of the release date), I checked the Borders in Keene, NH and they didn't have it either. *pout* Will check the B&N in Ingleside/Holyoke, MA on our way home from NJ/NY this weekend (going to the NY Ren Faire in Tuxedo, NY - woo hoo!). That B&N is well-known for putting books out early. Seems they usually put them out just as soon as they get them in.

6:45 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Suzane,

Heart Change -- current title -- is sitting around chapter 5, I think, since I've been messing around this week.

It will be out at the end of next year.

I am trying to squeeze a couple of more different books in.

Take care,
Robin

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]