On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, February 16, 2007

Capitol Hill Critique Group

I went to Capitol Hill Critique Group last night. This group is the main stay of RMFW, the place where anyone who does not have a regular critique group can go. This also is very close to my mentor's home. Anyway, it's been YEARS since I went and the first time I started to make a comment, I was cut off.

Since it's on a workday evening, it is very structured. The writer reads their work and people around the table have 2 minutes to critique. There is no free for all. Defending the work is not allowed (which is a very good rule, nothing can slow the pace down like an author explaining/defending he work -- and since I'm pretty good about not defending and have had horrible experiences with others defending I like the rule). After the work is read, there are several minutes to be able to write extensively if you want. I didn't do as much as others, because I'm still used to giving critique orally.

Anyway everyone had thoughtful comments and also was supportive and said what they liked about the work.

Since there were about 20, only 4 read and they are scheduled. I went so that I could get scheduled which will give me a deadline for my proposal.

Capitol Hill meets 1st through 4th Thursdays with a different moderator the 1st & 3rd and the 2nd and 4th.

May any critique today make you glow with pride.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems to me that writers reading other writers and making suggestions for improvements are only helpfull up to a point and it can be too much of a good thing; awkard to get too anxy and precious, the readers notice, belive me! Hope you have some disinterested readers as opposed to people in the publishing business only?

6:31 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Actually my first readers are all writers. If anyone wants to volunteer, let me know.

My Mom and my ex-roomie also read my work before it comes out, but they are not critical. Which also plays a good part in my life.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]