On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Writers -- Do It NOW!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I had a call from my mentor. Since we speak quite often during the week I wasn't too surprised, but since we talked at length on Monday and Tuesday, I thought it was a little unusual. Naturally I asked how she was and she said she was fine but that she had bad news.

I'm sure you all know what feeling I got. I usually use "stomach clenched," or if it's a guy "gut clenched." Actually mine was more "stomach dropped."

One of the long time members of RMFW has died. I knew this woman as a friendly acquaintance, though I don't recall how long it's been since I REALLY talked to her. A couple of years, since she hadn't lived in Colorado for a while, and then we spoke of her health and her life and not her writing.

Like all deaths, it made me think. This lady was an excellent writer, yet never got published. She wrote mostly horror. Her health had been bad, so I don't know how much she submitted in the last few years. Her death made me think how lucky I've been to be published, that I have a writing career even if I'm not too happy with that career at the moment.

What I want to say to you is, if you have something you can submit -- whether your are an unpublished or published writer -- do it NOW. Today. Do it in the memory of a writer who didn't see her dream come true. Please.

May you find the courage to submit TODAY.
Robin

5 Comments:

Blogger Catie said...

Oh, man, I'm sorry to hear that, Robin. *hugs*

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sad news.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope that your career will get better and better; I know that I am not the only one who likes and buys - and re reads - your books!

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn sorry to hear you are dow don't be blue...have you ever seen the movie a Song for Bobby Long...I think you would like it a quote from it is "it is the height of happiness that we should savour not the length" Jem

4:18 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thank you. It's a sad thing, and I REALLY, REALLY hate that it may be another year with more death in it...actually it will probably have two at least, but one will be a Blessed Release. Sigh.

Thanks anonymous, I work hard, hope my career continues.

Thanks Jem. An excellent philosophy.
Robin

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]