On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Listening to Your Critique Group

Ok, we are on the new blogger now. I didn't change over before because all the archives weren't available and I like that. I don't know if they are still available or not, just got tired of the prodding to change, so I did. Also Knight Agency and Out of the Blogsphere changed and I can talk on those if I want, but not if I'm on the old and they're on the new...

Anyway we're here.

Got my morning (and part of my afternoon word count) done. Was discussing the beginning of Healers of Hope and the more I think about it, the more I believe that I waited too long to get Marian in Sorceress of Faith onto Lladrana. I originally began with when she'd cast her own spell and was almost on her way. Both of my critique groups at the time couldn't handle that beginning, needed some backstory. So I backed up several different ways and finally ended up with what I have.

Now I think I should have just jumped in...So, while in general I say LISTEN to your critique group, there are some times when it's not right. If your gut really, really says this is wrong, don't do it.

In my case, I should have recalled that my critiquers wrote mystery and romance and women's fiction but not fantasy. I had the better eye there. So I'm second guessing myself now. Anyway, I posted the first part of Healers of Hope to my chat group, so I suppose I should tell them it won't appear in the book...

May your writing flow today with no second guessing.
Robin

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

does this mean that we readers at large will not get to see this? or will you put it in your website as complementary reading?.... I hope so, I dislike to miss any reading!

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has Healers of Hope been accepted for publication?

1:07 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Reader, yes, I will put it up.

Anonymous,
yes.

Robin

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]