On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, February 12, 2007

Real Life -- Quote

My writing is my real life, but as soon as I finished with my morning word count other parts of my real life intruded and I was unable to rise above an emotional shambles and grab hold of the day and shake it into shape. I must admit that the blog went clean out of my head until I was treating myself to steak (which, due to my budget I should not be doing) at a packed local restaurant.

So you get a quote today:

"Reading comes before writing, and drawing before tracing the letters of the alphabet." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

I firmly believe this. Read and you will learn the rhythms of storytelling. Read the genre you want to write in so you know the expectations.

That's all for now since I'm cold and want to go to bed early (to get the day over with). I walked to the restaurant and was seated at the only empty table (near the door) and after a while picked up a chill. The mist that I walked through to get to the restaurant had turned into a freezing rain on the way back. A very eerie walk back, freezing rain isn't usual, with the icy ruts in the alley interspersed with black, wet, pavement. The lights didn't seem as many or as bright as usual. I had morbid thoughts about how long it would take to find me if I slipped on the ice and fell and hit my head. A bright jacket is not enough in such circumstances.

Yes, I love this winter in Denver....

May you be able to ignore any emotional storms that may affect your writing.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]