On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Thinking, Believing, Feeling

Thinking, Believing, Feeling

What IS your character experiencing? I use all of the above a lot. I try to use "feeling" the least, as I am a firm believer in "Show, don't tell." If someone is angry, their hands should fist until their nails hurt their palms, they shouldn't FEEL angry (and I'd imagine I do this too often in my own work).

For me:
Thinking: Logic, Deduction, something your brain is working on and actually does

Believing: More of a spirit or gut thing.

Feeling: All about emotion.


Again, showing this is better than telling.

Thinking: nibbling lip, thrumming fingers
Believing: gut warning
Feeling: see above.


This is brief because I'm in the middle of the scene and really shouldn't have taken time....

May your characters have a range of emotions today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Robin, I could HUG you for posting this.
I needed to see this, as a reminder, a heads up not to loose my way when writing fast and allowing myself to get sloppy. True, I could always go back and tweak it, but it's best to always keep this advice in mind the first time.

I wish they had a Thesarus for phrases, not just words.

You're the best, Robin!

5:14 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

*sigh*, lose, not loose.

5:16 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Michele, writing fast and sloppy is how some people prefer to write, then go back and revise, so don't get down on yourself.

It's difficult for me to remember to put ** while writing and stop to consider words.

And never think you have to correct spelling errors on this blog, either. After all, I rarely do.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]