On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Why Keep This Scene?

I am now of the opinion that every scene must move the plot forward -- this is another do what I say, not as I do, because I hardly ever think of scenes moving the plot forward.

It used to be if the scene revealed character then you also kept it, but every scene, in my opinion, reveals character. Now it should reveal character AND move the plot forward

I have one scene in Heart Dance that I know doesn't move the plot forward, but I'm thinking of keeping it. I am a pantser, I wrote this scene early in the book and it was to serve the purpose of making the heroine financially independent (since she spends all her money -- gilt -- on scientific equipment, this will hardly happen). But as I continued with the book, other scenes did what the first had, better.

But, like I said, I'm leaning toward keeping it in. I could argue that it reveals an aspect of my heroine's character that the others don't, but there are other reasons.

One is that it reveals a little more of the world of Celta, and my readers like that. Another is that it can be the set up for a book a while down the line, if I keep writing and Berkley keeps buying the Heart books (for my readers, it can feature into a book about Antenn Moss, who is now not quite a teenager).

So those are my rationalizations/reasons. I'm not sure they're good enough, but until someone says cut it (before its published), I'll keep it.

May all your scenes work today,
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Okay, sometimes you have to indulge your readers. One scene that gives us more about your world and sets up some possiblity for a future hero works for me!

I am a tough reader, but I love those little nuggets that reveal more about Celta.

I vote for keeping it.

moon

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please keep it! I say, writing a book should not be like an assembly line; we are all reading for enjoyment... Anything that works in building atmosphere, character, etc., is never a waste.
Some books are very insulting and patronising to the reader, so many people never bother with those authors a second time if they even bother to finish the first book!.

12:03 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks folks, it stayed in, though if I'd been too much over my word limit I would have taken it out.

My mentor didn't say anything about it, so that's fine, too.

Smooches ('cause I'm in a good mood).
Robin

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]