On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, November 10, 2006

Holding Readers

I set down three books this week. One I’ll be going back to, two I’ll probably skim. The one I was interested in most was a paranormal romantic suspense and I suspect it was the second in a continuing series. I put it down because there was a “going from here to there” scene in the middle which can be deadly (and, yes, I have one in Heart Dance but it’s in the beginning so I’m hoping revealing the character motivation/outer plot may save it). I put it down again because I had to do chores, then picked up another one which was upstairs instead of down.

The second book had an interesting premise, but I now demand a higher standard of technique in books I read for pleasure. The execution of the premise didn’t hold me.

The third book started sadly and I haven’t been in the mood for sad for a long, long time.

So, this is my monthly/bi-monthly/whatever discussion on holding readers. The first book should have cut the scene, set it upon arrival at the ending point. The second book should be fine for many readers, but not those of us who really examine technique. The third book, too, should be fine for many readers as long as they aren’t looking for light-hearted reads.

Two of those books failed to hold my interest because of the type of reader I am. Subjectivity again. There are some readers who, even if they want to like your books, you won’t keep reading.

Will I read the authors again? Number 1, yes, sure. Number 3, if the author doesn’t start other books sadly. Number 2 if the author’s technique improves. I will definitely remember author #1’s name, I’m not sure about the others.

May all your scenes be fascinating today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Diane P said...

I have two bags of to be read books that run the gamut from romance to paranormal to sci-fi to horror. I choose depending on my mood. Right now I am running between mystery and horror. I loaned a horror book to my daughter and she loved it. I think it is the beginning of a series. I started it but it didn't grab me and I will probably go back, mainly to appease my daughter. I tried Greywalker by Kat Richardson and it grabbed me. My day off and I had other plans but this book is really holding my attention. I have just come off reading another really good book so I tend to be choosier. Both of the books had the same theme but for me the 2nd book had a character that I really want to know more about and see what happens to her.
I guess the characters have to grab me in the first few pages. Happy reading & writing.

11:05 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Excellent points, Diane.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, you said:
The one I was interested in most was a paranormal romantic suspense and I suspect it was the second in a continuing series. I put it down because there was a “going from here to there” scene in the middle which can be deadly ....

What do you mean "Going from here to there scene in the middle"? I'm lost - of course, this week, it doesn't take much to get me there.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]