On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Craft Seminars -- Disclaimer

I’ve been listening to the tapes from the RWA conference (I bought a full set), on Craft. The first seminar was of a class I’d heard got rave reviews at other places, but I was dissappointed in that I learned nothing new. Many, many times I get new insights. This wasn’t one of them.

The second class brought me excellent insights. I started writing down scene notes. But I had a hard time listening at first because I didn’t like the speaker’s style. I’m pretty sure that we would not see eye-to-eye on anything and that she’ll never read my work. BUT, even though I wasn’t thrilled with her manner, and even though I wasn’t exactly listening to her advice or planning to follow what she said, I DID get that little ZING of “oh, of course if I did THAT, it might work!” Absolutely reasons to listne to courses that you might not think would yield you anything.

And also a reminder that a good writer is a good writer and you CAN learn from any good writer.

AND I THINK IT’S TIME I DO THE STANDARD DISCLAIMER AGAIN.

THINGS THAT WORK FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU. IF YOU GET A KERNAL THAT WILL JUMP START YOU FOR A TECHNIQUE THAT IS BETTER FOR YOU, THAT’S **GREAT**.

THERE IS NO **RIGHT** WAY TO WRITE A BOOK. LISTEN TO YOUR GUT AND TAKE WHAT WILL WORK FOR YOU AND DISCARD THE REST.

May you receive new insight on your work today.

Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]