On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Editors

I lost my Luna editor. This can be a very iffy time in an author's life. I know my new editor is a very, very busy woman (now I have two very, very busy women as editors), and an excellent editor -- but still.

The more editors you lose, the harder it is to grow your career. Really. You have to learn to work with a new person, and hope that person likes your work. Usually it's your original editor who bought you in the first place. You hope the new person will promote you in house as much as your old editor.

So. Protector of the Flight is in production. I should see the last version (which I will probably hand off to my friend Rose Beetem for a line edit if there's time), then I have to get the proposal together for the last 3 books for the Luna contract and send it to my new editor. I tend to think it has to be even more perfect now. Sigh.

Getting to know your editor is VERY important.

May you think nothing of publication when you write today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeri said...

So sorry to hear that, Robin. It's really hard when that happens--that's why they call it being "orphaned." From what I hear, it happens to everyone sooner or later. The turnover in this business is crazy.

I found out my first editor had gotten canned through a message he left on my machine right before Christmas '01. As bad as I felt for myself (I was naive enough to think I'd actually get another editor, but they closed down the whole line), I felt even worse for him. The economy was pretty scary that year.

2:04 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Jeri. I know I've been adopted, and the Luna books have usually sold through committee, so it isn't as bad as it could be.

Robin

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]