On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, September 10, 2006

RMFW Conference 2

Well, I'm back at home. A very full weekend. I spent most of yesterday at a speaking engagement at a local Zonta meeting held at a country club. I sold a fair amount of books – but not as many as if I'd been a mystery writer or a straight romance writer. I bobbled the speech a little, but kept it short and told one of my stories – about the cover reissue of HeartMate.

A couple of consequences: RMFW has a simile contest and for years my crit group has gotten together and made up similies during lunch. Catie Murphy was part of this the last couple of years. Anyway, again, during the last couple of years we have been **ahem** creative in attributing our similies to other individuals such as, **cough, cough** Francine Mathews.

Anyway, when I walked into the awards ceremony last night, I was snagged by the panel of judge, Alice Kober, and told that 20 similies carried my name. Most with different handwriting. Many were award winning material. (Steven Moores is really the most brilliant at this contest). I was asked if I'd "be a good sport" and accept the valuable prize. I agreed.

I won a rodent harness. Complete with a small stuffed orange hippo with blue spots. The harness is stretchy, sort of like a bungee cord. A good time was had by all, and my critique group – who loves to write similies, but hates to troup up to the stage and demonstrate things like rodent harnesses in front of 200 people – were all very pleased.

This morning, I was complimented on my sparkling personality by a woman in the ladies room, and how she enjoyed events where I was. Huh. I told her she didn't see me up in my room, stretched out on my bed thinking, "Oh, time to go downstairs and be charming again..."

So my image is pretty good in general, but I was more distracted and stressed than usual and made a couple of mistakes that made me displeased with myself. I also had my standard conference meltdown yesterday afternoon, and since this is becoming a habit, I need to figure out what the cause is and take steps to prevent it. Esp before World Con in November. I think the key is more sleep. And hot tubs. And maybe meditation time. My personalized meditation tape had broken and when I returned, I had a new CD in my mailbox, so I intend to take up the program again.

So, for the bit on writing and publishing – sometimes being an author is exhausting and all you want to be is a writer in a quiet office.

May your writing please you today.

Robin
P.S. – Did I tell you that when I went out for a rare drink during the banquet, someone switched my key lime pie for cheesecake?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about your Agent? Hope all for a better future?
Cheese cake any time! You were lucky to get a switch!.
The hero of Heart Match sounds just great in a sutle and intelligent way! Do not make him brutish Pls!
The Lady sounds a little distracted and wishy-washy though, but you are just starting on this... I am sure all will get better.

5:00 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Anonymous, my agent just wanted to touch base. I wasn't too upset about the cheesecake. Glad you think Saille (hero) is being subtle, but I'm wanting to deepen Dufleur.

Thanks,
Robin

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

I had a key lime cheesecake once that was divine. Sometimes the only choice when it comes to dessert is "both."

Can't wait to see you (and Catie!) in November. Austin, baby!

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]