On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Pacing yourself -- Writers and Readers

Photobucket
Some people do binge writing, just sit down and let it all out. More often than not, I pace myself. At one of my old day jobs, I was accused of this, and I still don't know why that was supposed to be bad.

At this moment going on 1 am, I am behind wordcount for (yesterday/today/this week/this month). But I have two partial scenes and the first half of chronological chapter 20 up on my word processing system.

I know when I wake up, I'll be able to finish those two scenes and probably the chapter.

It's a bit of security. So, yes, I pace myself.

As a reader, I don't. Like many of you, I'll stay up late and gobble my favorites down. I think that's wonderful for readers. Don'tPaceYourself.Read.Read.Read.

May you be amused with yourself today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Anonymous Bbasney said...

Except when I read the book in one extended sitting & then I'm left frustrated by a year long wait until the next release...then I wonder why I cannot learn to pace my reading!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Tannun said...

If the book is part of a series I binge read and usually finish it within a few hours. BUT then I go back to book number one and read the entire series again to have a fresh view on how the book fits the series (and to find all those author bloopers that didn't get caught!)

I still hate waiting a year for the next book, but sometimes I can pester an author into allowing me to beta read (I'm not sure why I'm not on Robins permanent list of beta reader's!)

5:41 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Tannun, the last few works have been pretty much "done the night before submitting" or "I can't let anyone read this yet" and then "done the night before submitting." So I know if I get wonderful feedback after I've sent it in there is much gnashing of the teeth.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]