On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Genders

I've been giving this thought lately. Yes, sometimes it's easy to know whether the person who is writing is male or female. But think of blogs...how do you KNOW the person is the gender they say? Or chatrooms?

I was playing City of Heroes the other night and hanging around for a team to form for a big mission (a task force). It was obvious that most of the others were friends, and real life friends. I was admiring the armor of Courageous Lady (not the real character name), and wonder how she got it that color (I do this, pay a lot of attention to costumes).

So, someone says: Courageous Lady is our best damage-dealer, follow him in the task force missions.

I say: Ahem, Courageous Lady is female.

Pause.

Actually, Courageous Lady was being played (I was told) by a rough, male, ex-marine. But, like, who knows? I did get the idea that the player was male, though, and ex-military, like many of the rest of the team.

In the game there are some clues as to whether the female character might be played by a male. All butts are firm and toned, but breasts can be minimal (and still look full) or, ah, top heavy. Guys tend to make big busted women. Also, they tend to run in and bash, not check to see if every corner is clear of villains. It's straight ahead, and if they know the mission, they don't stop for anyone.

More about results than the trip.

And I have several guys I play and when I do, I am treated a little differently than when I play my female characters.

So, yes, there's definite genders out there, but I think we are more alike than different. So I think men can write female points of view and women can write male points of view and be on the mark.

And I know I write like a female, which doesn't bother me too much except when I think that I'd like a larger audience.

May you enjoy what you're doing today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

I don't play online games, but I guess there is something to learn from them.

I think some people do genders better than others, but some people are talented enough to get them right.

5:17 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I particularly like City of Heroes for stress relief and the costumes...but other things can be observed.

Robin

7:03 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

Honestly, if Courageous Lady's player wishes to be called by male pronouns, he shouldn't cross-dress. After all, it's polite to refer to people by their presented gender.

:)

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]