On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Weaving Threads

I do some weaving threads in from past books, and quite a bit of set up for future books in my Celtan HeartMate series. Some subplots inch along over the course of several books, like the one begun in Heart Duel and ending in Heart Fate.

I started a new one in Heart Journey that will continue for a couple or a few. ;)

Still these threads, even if they are only a paragraph here and there, take time and space to weave in a book, and I'm always weighing what I should leave in or cut, and how subtle I am.

This is a concern that those of us who write series must always address. The standard advice is not to include anything that doesn't pertain to the present story, but that doesn't work if the present is fulfilling a set up in the past, or a scene is setting up something in the future. It can be frustrating as you count every word.

So, those of you who enjoy multi-book subplots, thanks for noticing the threads.

Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the threads as a bonus of complexity for long-time readers, which makes your world come alive a lot more than it would if everything were completely one off and unrelated.

12:50 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks. I'm having problems with those threads lately...grrrr...get you in RIGHT THERE...you.

Robin

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]