On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, October 03, 2010

And the Main Villain Escapes

I recently read a fantasy and it's taken me a while to realize why I didn't care for it. It was the second book on this particular world, and now it appears there will be a series...and not a spin off one with a new hero and heroine each book (like my work), but the hero and heroine who were introduced.

And the main villain got away.

This was a violent book with lots of fighting and dying, and for the villain to get away and the hero and heroine not to have a happily ever after disturbs me. Sure, they've settled into their new home with their family, but...

I guess it made me feel like all their travail wasn't worth a lot.

And the reason I'm writing is to express my feelings in a tangible manner, and if I ever come up against this in my own writing, to recognize it.

So those are my thoughts.

May you enjoy all the worlds you visit today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

Oh, I've read stories like that, the main villain gets away to fight the hero for yet another day.

But maybe I'm thinking of cartoons?

Janice~

12:12 AM  
Blogger Betty Hanawa said...

Which is why I got bored with the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Too many battles, too many coincidences, too many times having interaction with the main historical figures of the era. Just all too much.

7:58 AM  
Blogger azteclady said...

Oh dear me, yes--that would thoroughly annoy me.

I might buy it for a couple of books, but sooner or later I would simply give up. (Probably sooner, in fact)

5:39 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Still thinking about this. The book was dark, the h/h deserved a quiet and happy ending...But they were both tough fighters, so I suppose that would be boring to them. But not quite the ending I liked. Also secondary characters died, but not quite sure who died, some weren't named. So that bothered me, too.

I was looking forward to this book, now I'm not sure I'll read the next in the world.
Robin

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]