On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Perfection

The shuffled music on my computer this morning has been perfect. Sometimes I get a perfect cup of tea, too, with the right amount of tea and steeping time and sugar (ok, I know I could be more scientific about that...the current cup is a bit too sweet). Occasionally I find just the right words.

But I don't aim for perfection in my writing, it is, as everything in my life is "the best I can do with the resources I have." If I wanted to craft my books to be the absolute best, I would take about three years to write a book. Not joking. But I have deadlines and readers waiting, and a need to eat.

If you wait for your muse or hang onto the thought that something must be perfect, odds are that you won't get it done.

Sometimes the muse and the starry night and the cats' purring will combine with the perfect music and cup of tea and you'll get lucky and manage to put down words that closely match the scene in your head. Don't count on it, but thank the blessing.

May you be blessed today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Susan Neace said...

I have gotten a great deal of pleasure reading your books in the past few years, and I enjoy reading your blog as well. Thank you. I hope you find great happiness in the New Year.

10:04 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Susan,

Thank you! May this new year bring you joy and health and prosperity.

Robin

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]