On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Crafting vs. Writing

For me there is a difference. With writing, I sit down and let the words flow or force them out, but I try to get into a rhythm. I may have no idea or only a general idea of what I want to accomplish.

Crafting, for me, is a whole different matter. The scene I wrote yesterday was already in my head, had been mulled over for a while (due to the cat situation I didn't write it when it was fresh and first came upon me). Well, I also had to think about the scene because it changes the book drastically and that means big rewrites, one thread removed or minimized and another added...Did I say I was going to write shorter on this one?

With crafting, I sit down and think of each word, each sentence and how to make it into a scene. How to describe what I want, how to invoke the emotions I want. I do not put my ** where a word needs to be changed and go on. I do not anticipate any revisions to the scene (of course there will be some). This is a very deliberate and THOUGHT-FULL process, not the general gift of a flow of writing or my usual process.

Usually I consider crafting during revision. I am hopeful that I did well.

May you enjoy your process and your craft any way it happens today.

Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]