On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, December 14, 2009

Layering

Layering is a technique that many writers use. They sketch out dialogue, or description, or action briefly, then go back to the scene and "layer" in other aspects. Motivation and visual reactions and cues, choreography, etc.

I do this occasionally when my brain is going faster than my fingers and I have about three different things I want to do in the scene -- and new ideas coming up. Skip a half page or page down, write a few lines, go back and flesh out the between bits.

Like everything else, this is a technique that may or may not work for you, but something I put out there if you want to try.

For the reader, the scene should be seamless, and the scene may have more depth.

May you forget yourself in a book today.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]