On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Changing Titles and Character Names

I've had to change my titles often, most notably Singer for a World became Echoes in the Dark. This is mostly due to the marketing departments of my publishers or my editors' consideration of marketing.

In any event, the book I've been working on, Out of Balance, will no longer be called that, since it doesn't strongly imply a genre. The alternate title for that story, A Dwarf At The Door, is too fantasy. So we are running through titles and any feedback will be heartily welcomed. "Lightfolk" will not be the series title.

Since the urban-fantasy-paranormal books will be linked by houses in an magical cul-de-sac or enclave, I (and critique buddies) am working from that. Enchantment Way, Enchantment Enclave, 4 Mystic Way, 124 Mystical Place, whatever.

I think I'll be getting/sending ideas today.

I've gotten used to changing titles, it's usually a battle not worth fighting because you can't win.

Changing a character's name is much harder. Brandy, in Sorceress of Faith, became Marian, and it took me most of the book before I thought of her as Marian.

So, advice, don't fall in love with your title...and when I have a new one, I may go back and insert it in all the blogs where I put Out of Balance.

May you enjoy whatever title you have, or are reading, today.
Robin

P.S.

On the personal front, I won NaNoWriMo with great effort in the last couple of weeks, I don't recommend that. Also the new cat seems to be settling in, but cried all last night from 3 am on since, huge cat fight night before last at 3:30 am. It's preferred spot is in the crawlspace where I can't reach it under the corner of the front porch. Since it's snowy today, and the dirt crawlspace is nasty, I am concerned, but I can't pick it up. I've been trying to lead him to the warmer laundry room-back porch-pantry, but that hasn't worked yet.

This has been a lot more stressful on me than I'd anticipated. Dingo doesn't like him and he's as big as Dingo.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calling the series by the cul-de-sac street, round, circle, etc is a great idea. Mystical Way is too over the top and too obvious. My ex-sister in-law lives at Lone Pine Circle which has always intrigued me. Gateway Circle, perhaps? I really like the idea of all of the books connected because of a street or neighborhood. I am already looking forward to the new series.

Tine

6:25 PM  
Blogger Cate Rowan said...

I prefer the title "Singer for a World" over "Echoes in the Dark." "Singer" gives me an idea of the story.

Clearly I am not the Marketing Department...

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not "Enchantment of Balance"

that way follow up books can be

enchantment of xxxxx etc

11:51 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks for the comments! I sent a note to my editor. Right now, and for me only, so this is not anywhere official, I am liking Changeling Hollow...

Robin

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]