On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, November 12, 2009

What a Brand New Writer Needs

The most important thing that a brand new writer needs is FEEDBACK. They need to be affirmed that they know writing techniques or be told how to learn them.

So I always recommend a writing organization (Romance Writers of America if you are writing romance) for in-person critique groups. There are online critique groups, too, but I don't know these, and make sure they don't charge per critique. There could be fees to keep the website going, or membership fees (reasonable, under 100/year).

Or enter contests with good feedback, such as (for multi genre), Pikes Peak Writers, Southwest Writers, Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers.

May you find what you need today,
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

I highly recomend Avoid Writer's Hell yahoo group to all new writers. The owner Faith Birknell-Brown and her mod Tess MacKall are great teachers and I've learned a lot from them.

And I can proudly say I got my first book contract yesterday, because of my mentors.

9:48 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! JUMPING UP AND DOWN!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!! GO, JANICE!!

Please let me know the title and when it is coming out (and you can do that multiple times).

Robin

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]