On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cliffhanger Book Endings

I don't think I've talked about this. I don't like cliffhangers. I think a book should stand on it's own. It IS true that the major fantasy arc of the Summoning books progressed throughout the series, but I wrapped up the major plot featuring the hero and heroine in each one.

In Heart Duel, I did leave a dangling plot, the Holly Family thing that carried all the way through to Heart Fate, but it was not the MAJOR plot, and you did know that Holm and Lark would be living happily ever after and knew where and what they would be doing.

But leaving the hero or heroine in danger...I don't think so. I can't see myself doing that unless the publisher requested it (or I do another serial).

I tend NOT to buy books that I know have cliffhangers...until the next one has been published.

What about you?

May you enjoy all the stories you hear today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cliffhanger ending, combined with some problems between author and publisher that cut the series there; was why I stopped reading and buying any books from a particular author and now I will not buy a series till all books are published!. If I cannot wait I just go to the public Library!

6:21 PM  
Blogger NewGuyDave said...

NYT bestselling fantasy author Paul Kemp's Erevis Cale Trilogy ends the first book with a huge cliffhanger. I had the second book on hand so it didn't bother me. But three books were each released about a year apart, and had I picked up book one early, I would have been seriously upset. Of course, it would have been a 'dying to read the book' kind of upset.

I like the idea that a book stands on its own and wraps up what it promised to. In my first book, the internal and external plot threads wrap up within two scenes of each other.

Two other threads are introduced late in the story. They are not officially problems, more annoyances, and they'll be dealt with in book 2, should I ever have the chance to write it. I think they will provide some continuity for readers, but allow them the satisfaction of finishing the first book.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless I can read the following book with a cliffhanger, I will not pick up one. I like some to obtain some closure in a book.

Regards, Ruth

8:20 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks for the feedback. I know this doesn't bother some people, but it does me...

Robin

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]