On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Time Paradox -- Worldbuilding

I played with time on Celta in Heart Dance and liked it very much. I don't think that I actually confronted the paradox thing because Dufleur Thyme never went back in time.

That is not the case with Djindesfarne Everstep (Jenni Evers). Well, she may not go back in time, but showing WHY she can't go back and prevent an event is very, very important.

In Heart Dance, time was a wind, the timewind. It would make more sense for it to be a wind in Time Shifter since Jenni is .25 Djinn (fire element) and .25 Elf (air element for the purposes of this world) and .50 human, but I've used time wind.

So time is a river, a wide, rushing, torrent of a river, the timeriver....

I thought so much this am to work on this that my brain hurt, but Jenni stepped into the river...though I am still not sure whether all of her or only her mind went, that take s MORE thinking.

Anyway, that is a little of my process. May you exercise your creative muscles today.
Robin

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds really good. I can't wait for the new series.
You won't Quit Celta though, right? *Puppy dog eyes* How long will the celta series be? And when will we get Vinni's Book *love him*?

Also...
Why did you post about not writing series that don't sell? All 2 (well now 1) series are selling right? How/Why did you get to this point (only will write what sells)?

2:35 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

So far I have 2 more books in the Celta series (after Heart Change coming out in November). I've decided to skip to the "younger" generation in book 3, tentatively titled Heart Hope. Fifteen years will have passed and it will start with Laev Hawthorn. If I sell more books they will be Antenn Blackthorn's and Vinni's stories, and maybe a new private eye we meet in Heart Hope (I'm not quite sure how that happened...).

I continue to mull over Vinni's story, though I've had the concept of Antenn's for years.

As for not writing things that don't pay, I am a full time writer now and I can't afford to write for my own or my readers' pleasure. The Celta series is selling, but it is a niche market (fantasy romances set on another world) and not selling as well as contemporary paranormal romances and unless it catches fire, it may never sell as well as those.

I've proposed two series that were rejected and the second series was one that I'd still like to do if I can ever make it work, but at least one of the ideas was cannibalized for the Luna series...

I am still hoping to write shorter books and get 3 out a year.

Robin

6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK. Thank you for responding. Don't write shorter books though, at the end I always want more story... and then I have to wait a year :( grrr. I really hope you get another contract for Celta. I've loved the series since HeartMate came out (with the old cover)so now I pre-order them asap, and I always buy an extra copy for a friend. :)

Good Luck with sales. You know, I don't really like Antenn Blackthorn *sorry* But its Celta and I must *find out what happens* (LOL), so I'll still buy it. *Fingers crossed for Vinni*

PS I prefer this category to contemporary Paranormal

8:20 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Hopefully the story will be equally satisfying and it's my job to make you like Antenn. ;)

Thanks for letting me know your preferences.
Robin

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]