On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Spelling

Yes you should know how to spell. Yes you should check your spelling. Yes you should have your best friend who knows how to spell everything backward and forward check your manuscript.

And like typos, spelling errors can slip through. I just went back and forth with bannister and banister in Heart Change.

Spelling is not my greatest talent. I recall very unpleasant spelling drills. But that was then and this is now.

To my mortification, while I was editing Time Shifter this am (I think I have enough words for 4-5 chapters, but will only submit 3), I realized I didn't know how to spell espresso. Ok, not a coffee drinker, but, like there are signs EVERYWHERE. I still thought it was expresso.

And idiosyncrasy had me looking around all over the web. Thank heavens someone did "idiosyncracy" an alternate spelling of idiosyncrasy. If there is an alternate spelling to be had, I will do it. I stuck with champaigne far too long.

Spelling is important, don't slough (sluff) it off.

May you know all the words you need to today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger NewGuyDave said...

What really hurts is growing up with commonwealth spelling and having to write with US spelling. Can't Anglish just be English, or something like that.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time shifter? New series? Could you give us more details please?

(ps. don't worry, I can't spell for crap, either. :) )

12:56 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, this is a new series for Luna, here was the
announcement for LightFolk:

FICTION: SCI-FI/FANTASY
Robin Owens' new untitled series, a mix of urban fantasy and romance, featuring the Lightfolk (Fae), a world where magic and technology merge, and a place where being mortal means becoming much more, to Mary Theresa Hussey at Luna, in a three-book deal, by Deidre Knight at The Knight Agency (World).

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]