On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, May 11, 2009

Learn Something New Every Day -- Guess

I thought I'd spoken about this earlier but did a search of the blog and saw nothing, so you'll hear/see it again.

My grandfather on my mother's side and my grandmother on my father's side would ask me what I'd learned new that day if they saw me on a daily basis. It's an idea that has stuck...occasionally. I don't go to bed thinking "what have I learned new today?" But if something strikes me in my research, it's "I've learned something new today!"

So here's something knew that I learned while perusing my wp thesaurus for another word.

Can you guess the word that this "alternate" meaning is for?
a vowel-like sound that serves as a consonant

Tell you tomorrow. May you learn something new today.

Robin

5 Comments:

Anonymous Valerie said...

oooohhh, I know that one because my son was just studying it in school. It's a semi-vowel. Like the letter "y" when it sounds like an "i".

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why?

11:08 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Valerie, yes, it is a GLIDE


LOL, anonymous. I like interesting facts, and the rationalization to learn something new every day FOR ME, is that my brain won't stagnate...keep thinking, which since my father died of early Alzheimer's may be a superstitious charm against it.

Of course reading something new every day should work too.

Robin

11:28 AM  
Blogger Janice Seagraves said...

I heard that reading will keep you from having Alzheimer's, but I think writers are safe.

Lol, we have to have very active brains.

As to your question: I have no clue.

Janice~

11:33 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Janice, like I said, it is a GLIDE.

Robin

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]