On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Living the Job -- Writer

PhotobucketI was reading J.D. Robb's latest book, Promises in Death, and one of the themes was cops who ARE the job (like heroine Eve Dallas), and people whose job is as a cop.

That's one way I believe that you can keep writing, even through tough times -- define yourself as a writer. Eve Dallas IS a cop. Most of the dancers in A Chorus Line couldn't say what they would do if they couldn't dance.

I am a writer, and, luckily, an author. I think I stated that on my profile, or why I am doing this blog.

I define myself as a writer. That is who/what I am. I usually see whatever I do, wherever I go as how it affects the writer. Part of this is because I am a single adult. So I don't identify myself as a wife. Or a mother. Even when I was a paralegal, I was a writer. I didn't identify myself as a paralegal, get involved in the organizations, though I admired many who did.

Eve Dallas is a cop.
I am a writer.

However you identify yourself is right, but if you are unpublished and need that extra bit to hold onto until you are published, define yourself as a writer.

Now I need to work on Exercise 3 of my Interviewing Your Characters Workshop. It's different than any I've seen out there, and kept running in my mind a lot last night after I went to bed. I also thought of the plot of TS and part of the chapter I want to write.

May you know who you are and what you need today.
Robin

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzane in VT said...

I will be attending Judi McCoy's Aspiring Writers seminar at RT in Orlando and the one thing she keeps telling us (via emails) is that when someone asks us what we do for a living we're suppose to tell them we are writers. She says she doesn't care what our day job/vocations are, we are writers. Glad to hear someone else already well ensconced in the business say and afirm the same.

10:52 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, there's always a time to live in the closet and come out of the closet as a writer. ;)

If you're out, people will ask you 1) if you've finished your book 2) when it will be published.

So if this is going to bother you, you can define yourself as a writer to your nearest and stay in the closet for others.

Robin

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]