On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, March 31, 2008

Copy Editors

The copy edits of Heart Fate are going very well. I had a shortened day today and still managed to get over 200 pages done, nearly half.

This copy editor and I don't agree on style. Sometimes s/he DOES rephrase an awkward sentence for me, but at other times she changes my paragraphing, my word choice and occasionally has struck a sentence that I feel is important to the STORY. So, though the work is pretty clean, I'm getting more irritated than usual. Good news/bad news. Bottom line advice: Take advice, but follow your heart. ;)

I like this book, I think it's good, my editor loved it and I think it can stand alone more than many of the Heart series. There ARE references to previous events, but I think they are clear. So I think I'll be entering Heart Fate in contests next year. Wonder how the reviews will go.

May you enjoy your work today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is probably a dumb question, but what's the difference between an editor and a copy editor?

Glad you made it home safe. Sending some basic energy your way, as well as some healing energy to Mistral (poor kitty). Tommy gets some "socializing" energy. ;)

Looking forward to your next literary offering.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from one of your readers
Did you find the missing chapter?
Pls do not let them change your voice!!!!!!!
If all books read with the same phrasing and vocabulary what whould be the point of reading more than one?

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Love love all your books and would love to read the copy you submit to your editor. I buy my favorite authors unedited versions at baen.com for $15. and then buy the finished book when it gets out. I'd pay twice that for yours!!!!! I really envey your Mom! She gets to read it gratis!!! (as is proper...go Mom's!!) I want to find out if Cratag got a girl(D'Marigold?) Does the turquois Residence find someone to love it? September is a long time to wait, I'm just finishing rereading your celta series again!! May your Creativity just keep coming!!! Bless You, Catheryne

12:53 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

I screwed up a couple of points in this comment so I deleted it since I can't edit it.

Carpetsudsie,

My editor is the person at the publishing house who buys my stuff, who decides whether she likes my stories, etc. Usually they will check big things like story problems or motivation, etc. to see whether the book works.

The copy editor is usually an outside contractor and mostly to make sure the punctuation is correct, but can make other suggestions if I've used a word too much, say, or screwed up some choreography (which I did but my editor caught it) or other stuff.

I haven't looked for the missing chapter yet, since that's a Luna book.

Catheryne, Cratag shows up in Heart Fate, but hopefully his book is up next, Heart Choice, and that title might stay the same since my editor likes it. Yes, he gets D'Marigold. The first chapter of that book is written and being revised. The Turquoise House is seen quite a bit in Heart Fate since it is a setting, and I think I'll leave any more hints about it there.

Take care,
robin

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah about the Turquoise house. I have been intrigued by it since I first read about it.

Is there anything more about Thyme Residence? Is it still at Winterberry Residence? Is now at Willow Residence? When is the book coming out?

Tine

2:33 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Tine,

I didn't address the moving of Thyme Residence in Heart Fate...just did not come up, though there are a couple of scenes with Saille and a lot about the Turquoise House's HouseHeart.

The book will be out in trade paperback in September.

Robin

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]