On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, February 04, 2008

And after the book is in...

Wow. Gray day so the sun didn't wake me at a usual time. Just got up. Mistral tried to nudge me awake a little earlier, maybe a half hour ago, but I didn't want to get up. Next thing I knew I was walking down the middle of a long hill of a 4 lane street in the winter, no cars. I think it was Federal Blvd. For reasons that are unknown to me and that I just realized, I sometimes spend a lot of time walking home from junior high. It was the longest walk I had to and from school and could be very cold. I still occasionally drive down the street, so it's still in my memory.

Then I was stuck in a gray cubicle like my last years at work, with stacks and piles of paper everywhere (not unlike my office and dining room here), wondering which to start on first, talking to an attorney whom I didn't recognize. I do recall that I was grounded in the right time. We were talking about February. He had started his professional career one long ago February, and my Dad was born in February...Then I woke....You know that feeling where you come straight out of REM sleep, a vivid dream? In the cubby I think I was looking for financials that I'd reviewed the day before.

Urgh.

Anyway, Friday I got home from the PO at about 6, I ate and did some email and stuff and went to bed.

Saturday I slept in, then a BRAND NEW IDEA for a book slipped into my head, set in the same urban fantasy universe I've been thinking of for a while, and I got up and wrote the whole first scene. I have no clue where it's going, and stuff came out in the first scene. I like it, but I'm wondering now if the set up's been done to death...then I went to a bookstore far, far away since our local Waldens was closed by the merger and bought the new Jayne Ann Krentz book, Sizzle and Burn, and fell asleep reading. I crashed until night. Wow.

So that's a couple of my standard reactions, new ideas and the crash. I hadn't expected the crash to be so hard, though, even though I'd worked 8-16 hour days on the editing over the last week.

Yesterday I had brunch with a smallish group then went to a new (franchised) tea shop and got their most expensive black tea ($18.50/2oz) as a reward for turning in the book. Luckily it's and "eh" tea for me, I might buy it if it were $5.00, but won't at that price. Bought more books, Charlaine Harris' Grave mysteries (those in mmp) and her new librarian book and read them and crashed.

Today I need to tidy up stuff and work and get my wordcount done. My editor needs to respond to an email regarding direction for the main character of the last Luna book (whatever it may be called and the more I think about it the less I like Echoes of the Dark and like PERSON of SOMETHING-CHARACTERISTIC/WHATEVER but Singer for a World didn't work for them and neither did my other titles in the same vein), anyway another email to my agent to nudge more, but I guess for today I'll work on the hero or a secondary character's scene.

Mistral is driving me crazy needing food, and I think the locked loading programs that has started happening where I can't get into my wp program for about a 1/2 hour has finally cycled through (gotta get that fixed), so I will go.

May you have a bright day today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Sorceress of Song
2. Savior of Song
3. Mistress of Song
4. Song of the Soul
5. World's Song Mistress
6. Silly Sally Sings a Song of Salvation

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just in case you have not heard or seen about this book cover - Castles in the Air by Christine Dodd in her website> "interesting"!

7:34 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks, Anonymous, I like some of those...Silly Sally... :) but they didn't think Singer For a World was strong enough...

Anon., yes, the 3 armed cover of Christina's actually helped her career, it got a lot of buzz!

Robin

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...what about "Mistral, The Singer's Child"
I figured that since you had spoken of that one particular pet, maybe it meant something... Just a thought for a title.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Rising_Writer said...

I apologize for saying what I did earlier, I had not known that you had only Mistral. I realized my mistake while checking your blog post archives. I am sincerely sorry for your loss!

12:49 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Rising Writer,

NOT a problem, I don't really talk much about when my pets "depart" mainly because some of them are occasionally seen in the Heart books and I don't want fans to know that they are no longer with us except on those pages...so I was not hurt or anything at all.

Robin

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]