On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, July 28, 2007

New Writing, Keepers of the Flame

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Well, for the first time since I finished Keepers of the Flame I really sat down and wrote. Yesterday I only got 500 words done, but though I haven't counted today, I must have done more, and it felt GOOD.

I realized as the writing was flowing that, as always, after some time (3 1/2 weeks) and a hard project and edit, I was worried that I'd burned out. Though it's the smart thing to do, I think I made a mistake in working on Singer again. I was tired of Lladrana. Heart Fate would have been easier to get back into. However, now I've started, and the next scene will be Luthan's (whose POV we haven't been in since Guardian), I think I'll be able to finish the proposal.

I heard from my editor and my baby, Keepers of the Flame, is not perfect. ;) Always a jolt. Also longer than she'd anticipated. Well, I was working with twins. Two heroines, two heroes, two love stories as well as the outer fantasy story... but she says there's repetition in the first pages, so that will be tightened.

I don't anticipate doing it. I'll take a look at the cuts that the editors make and decide whether they match the vision I have in my head for all of the books. I'm not arguing that all the words must stay the same, but I can't be the one to cut right now. I've done that and am too close to the book. This is the first time I've worked with this editor and I know she's good, and after some time (maybe a month, I hear), I should have a better perspective. Guess some of the humor will probably go, though.

Critique today, which is why I had to get my butt in the chair and write Singer For A World (I REALLY want to keep that title). I need to get it printed out. The deal for the proposal (last in the series), is 30 pages and synopsis. The synopsis will have to be adjusted, i.e., stuff to be added that was going in 5, but otherwise will be clean. I now have 9 pages and will see today if they're solid.

May your work fulfill you today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Kaelle said...

Oh, dear. I loves me some big books. And humor. Must be production issues. Sigh.

I'm sure I will like it anyway.

1:05 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Kaelle, we'll I'm hoping the editing will make the book better. That's what editing is supposed to do. This is a case of "my baby isn't perfect" on my part, as well.

We'll see what happens.
Robin

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]