On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

SUBMITTED!

Yes, Keepers of the Flame is submitted, out the door, off my desk (not really), etc. A little later I'll play with some numbers and see how many words I wrote since I sold the book in February. Since my head is in Lladrana I'm going to keep it there and write the proposal for Singer for the World (30 pages and revised synopsis) due September 15. I think I have about 3 pages. Will start today, I guess.

As usual, I think my timeline in the book is off (the twins' loving parents return from vacation in 2 weeks), so I may go through and check on that.

Oh, and as usual, my printer ran out of ink before the thing was done. Since I anticipated this, I didn't go absolutely crazy, but I did get the ms. to the 24 hour post office after the 6 pm overnight cut off date. That's the hours here. I think Fed Ex has similar ones, must be in by 6 pm or it doesn't go. However the postal woman said their last truck hadn't left, and with a straight shot to Manhattan, it should make it today.

Final page count: Courier New 12, double spaced, 638 pages. Somehow it blipped from 637 to 638 in the last few minutes when I added 4 lines and did the spell check, so I might look at that.

I am hoping that my publisher won't cut much.

I am pleased with the book, I had to do a balancing act on several levels (you'll know when you read it) and my mentor assured me that I pulled it off, and I think so too. I like the book, more than I usually do at this time (which is usually utter loathing for something I wanted to do better), and I think, if I had the time and pages, I could have done it better, but for 5 months and 1.5 in 1, I believe I did very well.

Again, the fear now is how much my publisher will cut because I think all scenes are necessary and cutting one means leaving out or TELLING about a thread instead of SHOWING. So, we'll see.

Didn't sleep well. It's hot. Ever since I left the light on downstairs all night the livingroom/dining room has been hot (80s), needless to say it's hotter upstairs. I'll be leaving my desktop now the line edits are done and back to the laptop -- need to cut my nails.

So much for the last bit of stream of consciousness. Mistral wants food.

May your work please you today,
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger talia pente said...

Congrats getting the book out. I, too, hope your publisher won't cut too much because I love the world and the characters and what if they cut a scene with Faucon? HEAVENS FORBID!!! LOL!

I am very much looking forward to reading this one.

Do you have trouble shifting gears from writing Llandrana to Celta? I know that with my stories they flip flop between our world and my magic world and I sometimes find that difficult to do.

Also, do you do something special to "cleanse your creative pallet" so you can brainstorm another idea? I admit to being a bit discouraged since I am prepubbed and am wondering how many books I should plot in my world when the market for light paranormal is excruitatingly tight (I don't write vamps).

talia

6:04 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Talia, hi! I hope they don't cut Faucon's scenes either. Don't like that idea.

It's better if I work in one world, though sometimes things bleed through.

Advice to you, what ever you have about half way or more, continue to the finish.

I wrote for 8-9 years, Regency historicals, one with a paranormal twin story, imagine that! Hmm, now I think about it, one guy was a charmer...anyway, finish those and then write the stories that really sing to you, that you'll finish just because you love it.

Robin

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]