On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, April 13, 2007

Little Luxuries

I think everyone has a little luxury that they will pay extra to indulge. And I think this can be revealing in your character -- think of Alexa in Guardian of Honor and her tea. I set up WHY she thought tea was a luxury (she went through the foster care system and it was something that made her individual), why she drank tea instead of liquor (attempted date rape in college), and her choice of tea in her confrontation with the Marshalls gave them something to react to, and how they reacted showed THEIR character.

So, use this. BTW, I have started up my exercise program again and my luxury is hot baths...where I can read. I have a whirlpool tub.

Take care and indulge yourself today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little luxury is actually.... ummm...books. It's always been that way. When I lived on my own I didn't drive and from the money that I saved by NOT driving I used on a number of books. :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Books, oh YEAH! Though it has reached a point (stacks in every room), where I have to start culling those I won't be reading.

Robin

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]