On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Cycles, Patterns, Themes

My family is having Easter at Mom's today and it is snowing. Ice and snow have been on the ground overnight. Didn't we do this Christmas?

And these are family get-togethers, not religious at all. My father was an atheist and Mom went back to her Catholic faith years after they divorced. So there will be ham and potatoes (the casserole of which I used in Keepers of the Flame), and incredible messiness since Mom is getting her kitchen floor replaced at the same time. This is how our holiday's go.

In writing we can use cycles and patterns to good effect, outlining themes. If I were the protagonist whom the book revolves around, the weather could be seen as isolating me...for good, letting me move from the work force into the inner creative life...or for bad, true isolation, not much contact, too much loneliness driving me mad, forcing me out.

And it could be used as challenges, a learning curve. Why does Robin never gas up her car when it's WARM? That low tire still needs air, if the protagonist had taken care of that problem when it was in the 60s, she wouldn't be worried about it now....

So watch the weather in the book, you can use it as a pattern to reflect your characters, have it point to the theme.

May you be warm and cozy today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

Easter for us is both religious and family, but this is the first year in the many years I have been married that we are spending it alone with our kids. Usually we have a HUGE dinner (Being of Italian heritage that means at least four courses) but this year we are getting by with just the pasta course and dessert after going to church. Yep, homemade sauce with sausage and meatballs and pork. YUM!

Blessings to you, Robin.

moon

5:25 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, I hope you had/are having a good time with your family.

Mine was messy with eating at my Mom's while my brothers were putting in the floor, but I missed the obligatory screaming session when my ex-sister-in-law dropped by to pick up my niece, so I count myself fortunate.

I went out to look at the house I'll be sitting for and when I got back the potatoes were almost all gone! I had to leave some for my brothers -- still working on the floor...

Robin

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]