On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Disappearing Animal Companions

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketIt happens. I'm known for my animal companions as secondary characters (comic relief, mentors, tricksters), and I'm usually aware of where they are and what they're doing, and give them some good scenes.

Occasionally I start out a scene with an animal companion and it disappears. Oops. Or I think the companion hasn't been around and wouldn't they want to be in this scene?

Two fixes. One is to write them in (yes, this happened yesterday).

The other is to state why they won't be going to the birthday party to be admired (that was the first time this happened to me, in Heart Choice). "The FamCat refuses to visit Commoners in an ugly collar," the Residence said.

Or, you can combine them. I wrote in Tuckerinal yesterday and had him fall asleep on the table at the Nom de Nom (tavern). A baby feycoocu (magical shape-shifting being) is coming and he needs all his energy...

May your secondary characters be just where they need to be today and you don't forget about them.
Robin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]