On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Contests: Book Length and Character Depth

I think one of the reasons that Guardian of Honor won Best Heroine is simple: it was the longest book of the three finalists. I had the length to explore Alexa’s character more than the other two authors, make my character deeper (though with Alexa, it was pretty much what-you-see-is-what-you-get). Still, the readers definitely spent more time with her.

AND, Luna publishes heroine-based stories. The focus is on the heroine and her inner growth and triumph of great outer plot problems. In romances, the focus is primarily on the romantic relationship between two people. So I had another advantage there.

That said, I’m still smiling.

May you discover unexpected gems in your writing today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger Liane Gentry Skye said...

Way to go and congratulations. You have to admit, it feels awesome to win, no matter why they picked your book. Am I Right? :)

Tossing confetti on the way out...YAY!

10:59 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Absolutely right Liane!

Robin

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]