On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, April 24, 2006

Splitting Books/Agents/Royalties

OK, I TRIED ABOUT 5 TIMES TO GET THIS UP THIS AM AND IT NEVER WENT THROUGH, SO MY APOLOGIES FOR IT BEING LATE.

Image hosting by PhotobucketYour agent is the person who speaks with your editors on the books only (s)he sold to them. For that, the standard amount is 15%. It's worth every penny.

Since I "negotiated" and sold my first two books, HeartMate and Heart Thief, whenever I have problems with those two titles I usually email my editor (if the issue is minor), and copy my agent, just for FYI. If the issue is large, I'll call and talk to my editor (and sweat every minute).

All my other books, my agent handles. This is important since I just received a royalty statement (and very small check) for HeartMate from Berkley...and no statement on Heart Thief. I'm pretty sure that I'm still in the hole for Heart Thief and will not be getting royalties on that one for a while, since the printing was large and the returns were, too, but I do like to see how much I'm in the hole so I can dream of a future when I may someday get small checks for it, too.

I don't have a fax. I have the capability but haven't set it up. So Berkley will fax Heart Thief's statement to my agent, then they will include it with the other royalty statements that come to them first and I will get it. Bottom line -- I will always have to deal with Berkley on my first two books, and I know it.

May business be far from your mind as you write today.
Robin

3 Comments:

Blogger Mikaela said...

Um... You have already posted this. A week ago or so. I think

1:31 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, shoot! Sorry about that. I thought I'd kept my blogs striaght...Fooey! Of course there was one day where I posted tow and I was feeling stingy so deleted one...

So I owe you all another, and I'll think one up for you. I have TOPICS.

My apologies,
Robin

2:16 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

All right, I mistook this for the blog on Royalties, which I just loaded...so that's why this went up twice...and I'll take it down in a while.

Robin

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]