On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Royalties/Sell through/Earn out

Image hosting by PhotobucketI got royalties! From Berkley! Ok, HeartMate has been bringing in a very small trickle every six months...Heart Thief is still in the hole due to a larger print run, but Heart Duel has EARNED OUT! WOW. Got royalties from the anthology, What Dreams May Come, too. WHEEEWWWW! This was a good check. Not great, but I am a niche author.

Sell Through -- this is how many books of your print run have sold and is determined in percentages (though I got the check I don't have the royalty statements from my agent yet, so I'm not exactly sure of the print run/etc. this term). A 50% sell through is considered good.

Earn Out -- that's when the book has sold 100% of the advance money they paid the author, and the author now gets royalties. This is considered very, VERY good.

Since the writing has been going well, too, I'm damn well happy today and might even treat myself to a meal out. Maybe steak.

May no financial worries cloud your day,
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Susan Grant said...

I am enjoying a breief respite off deadline and visiting everyone's blogs. I have to say that sashimi is the way to go if you want to make a dent in a royalty check. At our fav Japanese restaurant, it's 22 bucks for a few paper thin slices. That's raw fish--salmon to be exact. However, if that turns your stomach, stick to the steak!

10:24 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, restaurants...actually my ex roomie and her husband grilled steak for me so that craving was satisfied...

Robin

7:37 AM  
Blogger merlinsmuse said...

I'm late reading this post because I've been away for a few days and am only now catching up on things, but congratulations, Robin. You must be feeling great.

Keep up the good work,
Cathy

10:14 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Thanks Merlin's Muse, I can only hope it continues.

Robin

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]