On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Casting Call

-OPEN CASTING CALL-
ANIMAL PLANET'S ALL NEW "WILD SUMMER"
JOIN THE PREMIER CAST OF A GROUNDBREAKING NEW REALITY SERIES!

Are you an animal lover? At one time in the past did you consider a career focused on helping animals but somehow life got in the way? Do you want a second chance? Wild Summer will give 4 people the opportunity to work alongside experienced animal experts and rescued animals of all species, which may include tigers, bears, lions, various types of birds, chimps, wolves and more!

OPEN CASTING CALL INFORMATION
SATURDAY, MARCH 25TH FROM 10AM- 2PM
Located @ the MARRIOTT RENAISSANCE DENVER HOTEL
3801 Quebec Street, Denver, CO. 80207

For more information please email us, castingcall@painless.tv!

*Must be over 18 years of age and available for 4-6 weeks starting Spring/Summer, 2006.
*Please DO NOT apply if you already have extensive experience with animals.
*Final 4 participants will receive compensation for your time with us.

*************************************************************************************

I saw this a week and a half ago at Common Grounds. Today is our usual monthly critique group day.

What do you think I did?
Of COURSE I went. I arrived at about 9:40 and was #22 in line. At about 1:20 I had my 3 minute interview. Approx 4 hours of waiting and 3 minutes of jacklighted Robin on camera. LOL!

Most of the people there were either animal activists or actors...I don't think they got any other coffee shop walk-ins. I filled out a form with questions that I answered nervously off the top of my head (not knowing I'd be keeping the sheet for several hours) like what are my 3 worst traits...(hmmm, blogging everyday?), what Life has Taught me, etc. I listed my occupation as "Novelist." I really consider myself a writer, but I was afraid they'd think I was there just to write. No, to me, this was a Chance In A Lifetime.

Then the wait and stories of snakes (and nasty snake bites), horses, some acting, etc. One guy had an albino boa in a pillowcase. TRUTH. It was warm and flexible, head much smaller than the body...but I had a roomie who worked in the National Zoo in DC when I lived there and she had a boa, too. I, of course, am more used to feather boas...

When I got in, I wouldn't shut up. It was like they turned on a spigot and away I went....my Dad had a very mobile face/body/attitude, and I'm sure I rolled my eyes, grimaced, shrugged etc. and I'm SO not photogenic. And I'm pretty darn sure I talked more about writing than animals...sigh. Babble. Babble. Babble. But I think I was entertaining.

I did NOT get a Call Back. Today they are checking people out with animals. Sigh. I coulda done better, babbled about Animals I Have Known...Duh. Two days with No Call Backs. Sigh...

But, yeah, I handed out 3 wallet calendars when I left...(hey, someone made a comment about reading the Heart books)...so maybe I got new readers.

May you draw from an unusal idea or experience today.

5 Comments:

Blogger moonhart said...

It's okay Robin. Mercury is no longer in retrograde. Things are looking up.

;)

terri

2:14 PM  
Blogger moonhart said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:14 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, Rocky Mtn Fiction Writers talk about that around here...and I once sold a book with Mercury retrograde, etc...but this is just a break down in communication, this is like...rejection. ;)

And Comment Deleted...doesn't that just drive you crazy wondering what it was?...though I can live without snark and snide remarks...

Robin

8:25 AM  
Blogger merlinsmuse said...

Oh, that sound so cool. I would have been there in a heart beat...except I live in Canada.

Cathy

8:23 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Merlinsmuse, it was sheer luck that I saw the notice, so debacle or not, I think I was meant to be there.

Robin

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]