On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Seasonal Writing

Image hosting by PhotobucketI have headphones on, listening to the tunes that make up my soundtrack for the Exotique Summoning books (that's how I have them filed on my computer). The full spectrum "sun light" on my desk glows.
But I am really flying high in a summer sky with Calli, delighted at the freedom, the golden sun. I'm ducking dreeths, fighting, feeling the hot breath of fire pass me, sweat sliding down my body as I swing my sword...

Then a whisk of air sends a plume of snow from my neighbor's roof across my window and I'm back home, dressed in three layers, with feet that are chilly. The sky is not summer blue. What I can see of it is as white as the damn snow.
I don't really like writing Summer in winter, though I've done it before and vice versa. I like to write in the same season. However, with the new timeline I have of the Celta books (if they buy them), the story will definitely dictate what season it will be...as does the Summoning series...

So I guess I'll be remembering the days of summer in March, the chill of winter in July...

May whatever season you're writing in today, give you good ideas.
Robin

2 Comments:

Blogger merlinsmuse said...

I have a habit of having my stories take place in a summer season, mainly because I'm not a fan of winter. I have to shake myself every now and then and say, "Hey, smarten up. You might like summer, but it makes no sense whatsoever in the context of this story." So, with a sigh, I rewrite the hot, sunny scene into something cold. Yuck! The sacrifices we make as writers. :-)

Cathy

7:23 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Yes, the story should definitely dictate the season, and the weather can influence or twist the plot...but writing in a different season bothers me more lately...don't know why.
Robin

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]