On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, March 17, 2006

How to Write Books 2

First, there's a classic about creativity: The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, and another old favorite, Walking on Alligators, Meditations for Writers by Susan Shaughnessy (I based my Free Your Artist page on my website on this).

The best How to Write Book I know is The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. It works for me. Other books I reach for when plotting, I think I've already mentioned: How to Write a Fiction Synopsis by Pam McCutcheon, and The Complete Guide to Heroes and Heroines by Tami D. Cowden, Caro LaFever, and Sue Viders.

The above books are those that I always use. I sometimes look in Goal, Motivation and Conflict by Debra Dixon and Scene and Structure by Jack Bickham. I've also used The Observation Deck my Naomi Epel (a group of us worked several months on this for a while).

I do have others that I've bought and haven't really read, Tehcniques of a Selling Author by Dwight Swain (a classic) and Howe to Write a Damn Good Novel by James Frey, among 4-5 others.

I have sf/f worldbuilding books, too.

So that's pretty much my How to Write Book Toolbox. These are the ones that work for ME. Others may speak to you better.

May you make your wordcount today.
Robin

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, I love your Blog. I just found it this month and went back and had to read it from the beginning. With your first book out of print I had to order a copy from eBay. Being in the middle of Modesitt’s Corean series I haven’t had a chance to read it yet but I tried it on my daughter … and she couldn’t put it down. She finished it in a day and a half. I haven’t seen her as excited about an author or a series since she discovered Mercedes Lackey several years ago.
Needless to say, I was coerced into ordering the rest of your books from Amazon. She was crestfallen when the books hadn’t arrived before she left on Wednesday having to endure a 17 hour school Band trip bus ride to Tampa. (The UPS man brought the package an hour later!) Oh well, she’ll be excited when she finds your entire collection on her chair when she arrives home Sunday.
Thanks for all of your effort and your intense passion for writing that permeates your blog is EXTREMELY contagious.

7:03 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Well, thanks Jimmy! Your note comes at a very good time for me.

I'm sorry the books didn't come in time for your daughter and sure hope she has good books with her. Good luck to her time in the band.

Robin

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]