On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Worldbuilding Getting details right.

Image hosting by Photobucket
Sometimes when I'm writing, I have to think of worldbuilding details in every paragraph I craft, and hope that this flows smoothly.

Why does Alexa work better with horses than volarans?
Why do only some people wear full fighting leathers made of dreeth skin? (Because they killed the dreeth. But don't people who kill dreeths sell the skins to get money (zhiv)? Yes, but only those people who killed the dreeth can COVER their body with the skin of the dreeth they killed. Thus they can sell the skin (which naturally brings a high price), and smaller garments may be made with the skin, but only the people who killed it can wear the skin. Magic.....

And yes, this can slow me (you) down, but it adds richness to the world, it keeps your world consistent, and thus keeps your readers happy.

May you add a little more richness to your story today.
Robin

6 Comments:

Blogger merlinsmuse said...

I have to smile because this brings to mind something that I remember my father saying years ago. I didn't agree with then and now that I'm actually writing novels, I agree with even less.

He said that it would be easy to write a book. All you have to do is sit down and write. Yikes. There is so much research to do that it boggles the senses. Details that you wouldn't even have thought about needing to know the answer to.

Oh, well, too bad he's not alive today so that I can set him straight.

Cathy

10:27 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

If only he'd tried it....

;)
Robin

4:50 PM  
Blogger merlinsmuse said...

He was actually a fairly good painter, whereas, I can't draw a half-decent stick man. :-)

Cathy

8:10 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Oh, yeah, stick person is me! Pottery, bad; jewelry, bad; painting, bad...

Robin

8:14 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Hmmm. So, did he, like, just approach the canvas and paint? I bet now you could have found an analogy for him to understand.

Robin

8:15 AM  
Blogger merlinsmuse said...

He never took lessons, had no idea what he was doing, just got in there and painted. He had a creative drive, but never gave in to it more than just as a hobby. In some ways I think he was embarrassed that he wasn't good enough or something. Funny, I haven't thought of him much in a few years, now, suddenly, I'm seeing him in a new light. Wow. Mini enlightenment going on here.

Thanks,
Cathy

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]