On Writing & Publishing by Robin D. Owens

Personal notes on writing techniques, writing a novel, my writing career and threading your way through publishing a book.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, United States

RITA Award Winning Author -- that's like the Oscar, folks! Futuristic/Fantasy Romance and Fantasy with Romantic Subplots.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Reading Your Own Books

You know, I'm going to have to read HeartMate again to figure out a story for the tattoo (which I'll probably post on my website under the Worlds page in July/August)...no, I never really read HeartMate after it was published. I did READINGS (first chapter, modified in my own Author Copy book), and glanced through it now and then, but never read it through. I think the only book of mine I've ever read through as a book is Guardian of Honor, and Road of Adventure, the novella. I think the others I just lived with too long or worked too hard on them.

But talking to my mentor yesterday I realized that T'Ash DOES wear a vest (probably sleeveless) in the book, and the whole thing is about gangs, and MAYBE I mentioned he was in a gang. And let's face it, he did grow up a Downwind tough, and followed a Vengeance Stalk. I'm thinking now that when he swore to do a Vengeance Stalk, the tattoo appeared (Heaven knows what the tattoo IS -- it does have leaves instead of feathers which is more in keeping with Celta, but I'll think of that), then when his revenge was done the tattoo disappeared, except, you know, when he had that little berserker problem...which is why Danith never noticed it...

May you give your characters unique qualities today.
Robin

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I so admire the creativity of authors.
Always meant to ask - how do you pronounce T'ash?

10:22 AM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Ah, yes, I need to get a pronounciation guide up.

Tash, Dash, Treed, Tu'Hawthorn, Duh-Silverfir....Ruis not QUITE Ru-is, but not Rus...Ailim Aylim. And these are MY takes on the Ogham alphabet, which isn't exactly right either...Saille is more like Sol, but I say Sal...

Actually, I don't particularly care how you pronounce it.

Robin ;)

10:35 AM  
Blogger moonhart said...

I always pronounced T'ash as Tash like D'arcy is Darcy.

Now about this tattoo. Since it is a heart, what if it appears during the passage if the man has a heartmate? All that power and energy sorta galvanize into a physical sign. It could disappear once they were "mated." Of course then you could have Tinne needing to hide that tattoo and that might throw off all sorts of other stuff...ugh!

terri (who really likes the cover)

12:43 PM  
Blogger FantasyAuthor RobinDOwens said...

Hmmm. Good idea Terri, and it would have worked if I weren't so late in the Heart series and have set ideas about the HeartMate rules...sometimes it's difficult to introduce something new mid-series..."oh, I didn't mention that before? My bad."

Robin

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Out of the Blogosphere
[ Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>]